Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Pirates of the Caribbean Custom Painted TOMS shoes

By Dan-O Florez

Todays post will takes us to one my my personal favorite Disney attractions...

The great thing about creating art pieces inspired by Disney Attractions is that there is so much history to draw from.

On occasion I will string together simple GIFs by taking pictures of my progress as I paint. 



Thanks to sites like Davelandweb and Google Image search, one can find images readily available to serve as inspiration.
I knew that if I was going to tackle the classic attraction Pirates of the Caribbean I needed to find the most memorable scenes to really evoke and get the feel of the attraction to show up on shoes.




Sometimes the best inspiration comes from original concept art. In this case I referenced Marc Davis' concept artwork for the auction scene.

The part of my skill set that sets me apart from many other custom shoe artists is my ability to focus on such small details and to scale down larger images onto a small space usually no larger than 3 to 4 inches wide by 4-6 inches tall.

This old map that I picked up outside the Magic Kingdoms Pirates of the Caribbean attraction in Florida was my inspiration for including a map on the outside panels of the shoes.

Much like my map above, I decided to include a hidden mickey in my map. Have you found it yet?

Referencing elements from both Disney World and Disneyland's versions of "Pirates" was necessary to really have a design that encompassed the feel of the Pirates of the Caribbean experience. 

As always if you like what you see and wish to order a pair like this or something similar, please feel free to contact me at my web store www.DanOFlorez.storenvy.com

No comments:

Google+