Monday, March 3, 2014

Permanecer Sentados Por Favor

By Dan-O Florez

www.Dan-O.net
 What better way to start off Monday than with the Matterhorn?

A few months ago I came up with an idea to post a "mystery Matterhorn"listing in my shop. The listing was for a custom painted pair of TOMS themed to the Matterhorn. The catch was that the buyer did not get to know what the design was until it arrived at their door. Being that this is kind of risky for any buyer I offered the listing at $95 (TOMS shoes cost $50 so I would be doing the artwork for $45 considering how many hours it takes to paint a pair of shoes, I was working for peanuts.)  This listing was really because I wanted to do the design and get it out into the world. I already had an idea in my head of what the design would entail but I wasn't 100% on all the details. 


I started by looking up photos of Matterhorn signage and found this sign that gets used when the ride is down for refurbishments. As you can see above I used that as a basis for an image I created to be used on T-shirts

Here is a series of photos showing the progression of the mountain as it was painted. Starting with gray, white, and lastly adding in the green trees, and yellow/white sun, and red border.








What Matterhorn inspired artwork would be complete without an appearance from Harold the yeti?





Because of the various shades and shadowing needed for Harold's fur, I used a combination of a creamy light brown and white to give it that messy hair kind of look.

You may have noticed in the photos just above that I painted the sides white with orange and pink stripes. That inspiration came from these photos of an older Matterhorn.




Added small Yeti foot print to the outer heel of the shoe. Placing a small object on the outer heel to the side of the TOMS tag has become a signature element in many of my Disney inspired designs


This design can be ordered in my webstore at DanOFlorez..com


Until next time, please remain seated and keep your hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times.


Photo Courtesy of DisneyPhotos84 on Instagram also known as Travis of the Neverlanders Social Club


No comments:

Google+